RTSB Recruits and Trains 66 Tutor/Mentors for the 2022-23 School Year
AARP Foundation Experience Corps
- AARP Foundation Experience Corps engages adults 50+ as Tutor/Mentors to produce literacy proficiency in grades PreK-3rd.
- AARP Foundation Experience Corps helps ensure volunteer success through training, peer networks, and ongoing evaluation - without added burden to schools. A 2009 Washington University study on the efficacy of AARP Foundation Experience Corps found that teachers overwhelmingly (97%) rated Experience Corps as beneficial to students and a large majority (85%) found it had no or low burden on them.
- The schools will welcome and integrate the AARP Foundation Experience Corps RTSB program, Experience Corps Literacy Coach and Tutor/Mentors into the school.
- Commitment from the teacher includes working in collaboration with RTSB staff to identify and refer at risk students for, 1:1 Tutor/Mentoring, provide student data, and complete program surveys to measure program impact, teacher satisfaction and tutor effectiveness.
- School staff is asked to support administration of a receptive language assessment with participating students and participate in data meetings with RTSB staff to review data.
- Schools are asked to designate space for RTSB staff, 1:1 Tutor/Mentoring, and tutor site team meetings.
- Volunteers age 50+ help children learn to read. Tutor/Mentors make a lasting difference for children by building critical literacy skills.
- Experience Corps Tutor/Mentors are praised for their consistency, dedication, and reliability. Volunteers will tutor 4 or more hours per week for the duration of a school year. These volunteers will Tutor/Mentor one student at a time administering a structured fluency focused session for 30 minutes. Tutor/Mentors work with a total of 2-4 students in 1st through 3rd Grade. Or a Tutor/Mentor can work 1:1 with PreK students administering a structured session focused on pre-reading skills. Volunteers will be screened and participate in orientation and robust preservice as well as monthly professional development to ensure a successful collaboration.
Click here to always stay up to date with news, job postings, and volunteer positions from Read to Succeed Buffalo by joining our Newsletter!