Read to Succeed Buffalo (RTSB) is accepting applicants for the 2019-2020 school year.
If you are interested in becoming an Experience Corps Volunteer, please call Read to Succeed Buffalo, (716) 843-8895, to register for one of our upcoming information sessions. At each session RTSB staff will answer questions, give prospective candidates a chance to fill out a volunteer application, and conduct prospect interviews. You must pre-register for these information sessions, so contact RTSB today!
- Experience Corps engages adults 50+ as tutors and mentors to produce literacy proficiency in grades K-3
- Experience Corps helps ensure volunteer success through training, peer networks, and ongoing evaluation - without added burden to schools. A 2009 Washington University study on the efficacy of Experience Corps found that teachers overwhelmingly (97%) rated Experience Corps as beneficial to students and a large majority (85%) found it had no or low burden on them.
- The schools will welcome and integrate the Experience Corps RTSB program, Experience Corps Literacy Coach and tutors into the school.
- Commitment from the teacher includes working in collaboration with RTSB staff to identify and refer at risk students for small group tutoring, provide student data, and complete program surveys to measure program impact, teacher satisfaction and tutor effectiveness.
- School staff is asked to support administration of a receptive language assessment with participating students and participate in data meetings with RTSB staff to review data.
- Schools are asked to designate space for RTSB staff, small group tutoring, and tutor team meetings.
- Volunteers age 50+ help children learn to read. Tutors make a lasting difference for children by building critical literacy skills.
- Experience Corps tutors are praised for their consistency, dedication, and reliability. Volunteers will tutor 4 or more hours per week for the duration of the school year. These volunteers will tutor small groups of 2-4 students in Kindergarten through 3rd Grade. Volunteers will be screened and participate in orientation and robust preservice as well as monthly professional development to ensure a successful collaboration.
Always stay up to date with news about job posting and volunteer positions from Read to Succeed Buffalo by joining our Newsletter!