The Statisticks Lottery
The Campaign for Grade Level Reading
Zip Code Lottery
Research has shown that proficiency in reading by the end of 3rd grade enables students to shift from learning to read to reading to learn and assure students are prepared to manage the more complex subject matters ahead. If a student fails this critical milestone, they fall farther back in later grades.
- 1 Million Babies born into low income families
- By 3rd Birthday, low income children have been exposed to 30,000,000 fewer words
- By Kindergarten, low income children are 12-14 month behind developmentally
- School Attendance is a challenge
- 5-7.5 million children experience chronic absences from school; low income children are 4 times more likely to be absent
- During summer months, low income children lose 2 months of learning
- By 3rd grade low income children are 2-2.5 years behind in critical reading and language skills.
- 3 million kids drop out of school annually, Impact: 90% are not able to perform the skills needed for a job, $1.8 Billion is loss in tax revenue because of the high school dropout crisis.
Schools cannot do it alone. Engaged communities mobilized; to remove barriers, expand opportunities, and assist parents in fulfilling their roles and responsibilities to serve as full partners in the success of their children are needed to assure student success.
Leadership Commitment for Solution
- All children healthy and ready for school.
- All children experience a rich word and book environment
- All children have the opportunity for healthy and educational summer activities
- All children attend school every day
Because the future of our children should not be dependent on luck, lottery or zip code!
To learn more, check out the full video at http://gradelevelreading.net/video-the-statisticks-lottery.